Monday, February 11, 2013

What the heck do vegans eat?

Typical spinach salad for me with cut up vegan burger
Its funny to me that many people cannot contemplate a meal without meat or cheese. So many of our comfort foods are filled with animal flesh or animal products. It is hard to believe for the average omnivore, but you can make just as tasty comfort foods without the use of animal products and its by far healthier! Im not just eating vegan though, I am eating a produce rich diet. My main food are vegetables, but I also eat a variety of fruits, grains, nuts and seeds.






In researching on how to be a healthy vegan, I had some trouble finding a detailed yet understandable diet. Even in the vegan world, there are different theories on how you should eat. My main goal is to loose weight while being healthy and never gain the weight back. So, at this point, this is what I am doing and it seems to be working. Im loosing weight naturally. I feel great and more energized than I have felt in a long time.

This is a typical day for me lately, for food.
Bulgar fry, roasted root veggies , w/vegan cream cheese

-Coffee (I am addicted and not stopping, although Ive read good reasons to stop)
- Tofu scrabble, loaded with onions, peppers, tomatoes and more veggies, sometimes in a wrap loaded with baby spinach or lettuce.
- fresh carrots with scoop of home made hummus
- leftover dinner from the night before or big salad loaded with veggies, fat free dressing or balsamic vinegar and sesame seeds or sliced almonds
- filling meal I cook myself, like, vegan shepherds pie, hearty soup with homemade bread, tempeh with a vegetable sauté and grain.
zucchini stir fry with onions and mushrooms

I drink water! Occasionally,  I'll have a small juice or smoothie.

I try to buy all organic vegetables and grains. I do not snack on prepackaged food. I think before I eat. When I leave the house, I try to remember to bring my own snack or meal, so I don't have to worry when I'm out.

Here are my rules for myself that Ive come up with to not only be vegan, but to loose weight.
- do not eat animal products no matter how small.
- reduce sweets/ baking to once a month or less. (I love to bake)
- do not eat after 9pm and see if i can get it even earlier to 8 pm.
- eat fruit first thing in morning/ dont eat until hungry and start slowly.  Let my body warm up to food and tell me when to nurish it.
- eat less, if any at all of processed foods, less crackers, breads, spreads, other boxed foods.
- make more things from scratch
vegan cereal bars (I'll post this recipe soon!)
- half my plate at all meals should be fruits or veggies, if not more than half!
- Eat more salad! More greens!
- weigh in once a week on Wednesdays. Reassess if i have not lost weight.

Like I've said in other posts, I am still learning. I strive to improve my lifestyle everyday. There is more to being vegan than just food, but it starts there.

One of my favorite recipe sites : VegWeb
A new favorite blog with recipes : The Happy Herbivore

No comments:

Post a Comment